[cups.general] Document Tracking Filter?

Helge Blischke H.Blischke at srz-berlin.de
Thu Jun 17 04:34:14 PDT 2004

Carl Perry wrote:

> I'm sure this isn't a new idea, nor am I the first to think of it so I
> figured I would ask here before I went a wrote my own.
>
> I'd like CUPS to perform an on-paper document tracking system, much like
> most banks and insurance companies uses these days, where each job has
> some information and most importantly a barcode in the margin.  I know
> CUPS has the classification feature, which does most of what I want
> (specifically add a pre and post job cover page) but won't let me
> customize the text in the margin or insert a barcode.
>
> I figure the best way to implement this would be a pstops filter of some
> kind, and I thought someone may have seen/written something like this
> before.  If not, I'd gladly do it but need some information on how to do
> what I need in Postscript.  Any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Look at the extended page-label feature of the alternate pstops filter
(to be found via
the links on the CUPS home page).
I recently posted I'm thinking of inserting code to make certain job
attributes and
environment variables available to the PostScript code - so you could
patch a bar code
onto the first page as a page label, for instance.

Helge

H.Blischke at srz-berlin.de
H.Blischke at srz-berlin.com
H.Blischke at acm.org