unable to print from mozilla

rlharris at hal-pc.org rlharris at hal-pc.org
Sat Jun 19 04:50:17 PDT 2004

I am unable to print from mozilla-browser 1.6 (Mozilla Debian Package 1.6-5).  The same problem exists when attempting to print from Adobe Acrobat Reader installed as a Mozilla helper application.

In the print dialogue box, Mozilla offers four choices of printer:

   lp@:64

   xp_ps_spooldir_tmp_Xprintjobs@:64

   xp_pdf_spooldir_tmp_Xprintjobs@:64

   PostScript/default

None of them seems to work.  If PostScript/default is selected, the properties dialogue box displays the following print command, which may be edited by the user:

   lpr ${MOZ_PRINTER_NAME:+'-P'}${MOZ_PRINTER_NAME}

Changing this command to "lpr -P hp4100nps" (which corresponds with the name by which CUPS identifies the printer) does not solve the problem.

However, I am able to print from OpenOffice.org-writer,and the CUPS test page prints perfectly.

The printer is a HP LaserJet 4100n (PostScript) with Jet-Direct interface; it was installed with the CUPS web administration interface.  The machine has a Pentium processor.  The kernel is 2.4.25.  CUPS was installed with other packages via TASKSEL, and configured by DEBCONF.

CUPS is working with a previous installation of Debian on a nearly-identical machine, with kernel 2.4.24 and Debian Mozilla Package 1.6-1.

This seems to me to be a bug with Mozilla; has anyone else experienced it?

RLH