cups-- default printer?

Anonymous anonymous at easysw.com
Wed Jun 30 17:54:39 PDT 2004

Michael Sweet wrote:
> unruh at physics.ubc.ca wrote:
> > There is no option anywhere on that web setup to choose the default
> > printer. There is also nothing anywhere to delete a printer that I can
> > find.
>
> This was added in 1.1.21

Not sure which "this" refers to. The default printer handling is horrible (in 1.1.19 and 1.1.20). It seems that cups completely ignores what is in lpoptions and simply takes the first remote printer it sees as the default if it has no locally configured printer.
Since about 15 printers are broadcasting on the net I am on, this produces rediculous results (Do I really want the printer two floors and  200 meters away as my default, when I have a printer 10 meters away?)

Note that by "delete" I also mean to delete a remote printer-- ie not to accept it or list it in the available printers.

> > [As an aside, the web interface is really terrible. For example,
> > If I edit or modify a printer, I get no indication of what the current
> > settings are-- instead I have to enter everything by hand again. This is
> > just silly and horribly confusing. Serious work needs to be done on the
> > web interface.]
>
> All of the web admin pages should show the current settings; if not,
> you have a local config/build problem.

I am looking at the Printer admin pages.
under the Modify for a remote printer. It is not at all clear that I should be able to edit stuff for a remote printer anyway, but it lets me do so. It then asks for things like the Device-- which means what for a remote printer? The first item is the only one displayed which is App Socket/HP JetDirect, which almost certainly should almost never be the default selection. the rest are incomprehensible (I assume that ipp://remote.host.name/ipp would be the correct choice, but how is anyone to know that? It is presumably the current choice for a remotely displayed printer (or is it)).
There are no default or current options displayed.

(I am using the standard Mandrake cups rpm which I would assume is correctly built and default configured.)