Simple accounting filter/backend (With Perl or another script language)

Jerome Alet alet at librelogiciel.com
Fri Jun 25 13:08:26 PDT 2004

Helge Blischke wrote:

> And no, the PyKota method relies on the PostScript job being DSC
> compliant - at least with
> repect to the "%%Page: ..." comments, whereas the bbox method even
> works
> with PostScript jobs
> that contain no comments at all, moreover, it even works with binary
> PostScript.

#include <std_disclaimer>

I'd add some clarification here : with the software accounting method included by default with PyKota, which can be used directly from the command line or in other tools if you ever need it, PostScript code HAS to be DSC compliant.

However, this is only the default software accounting method. PyKota unprecedented versatility allows you to plug in ANY command of your choice
to count pages in the job, for example the method you propose could be
used in PyKota with only a simple change to PyKota's configuration file,
and NO interruption of service.

FYI this very same accounting method can already accurately account for DSC compliant PS, PCL5, and PDF, which are all detected automagically. PCL6 is in the works, and probably other Page Description Languages in the future.

I (PyKota's author) may add "native" support for the method you describe, but
this is currently not a priority because people can easily use the command
they prefer, and because hardware accounting (also completely configurable)
is the recommended accounting method in PyKota.

hoping this clarifies some misconceptions

Jerome