[cups.general] Re: Forms or Template printing ...

Helge Blischke H.Blischke at srz-berlin.de
Fri May 14 03:23:47 PDT 2004

C.Lee Taylor wrote:

> Greetings ...
>
>         Again, thanks for the quick responce ...
>
> >>        The problem we are seeing, is that nothing can touch job size of a
> >> dotmatrix printer.  With a dotmatrix print job of 2K, our new Laser
> >> print jobs are 500K, which, as you could image is killing our remote
> >> site links.
>
> >Why not write a dotmatrix printer emulation in PostScript? Then you
> > would retain your tiny file sizes, and enhancing htis emulation for bar code printing
> > should not be an issue.
>
>         Unless one is not a programmer, plus the big downside, is that I will have to create all my reports, which the Windows application that this is for, I would get no support.
>
>         I know, it's a bummer! ... How do the big printer boys do this sort of thing with there printers and hard drives and forms and templates?

Well, developers around Winxx usually suppose most (> 90 %) users have a
standalone PC
and a locally attached (or networked) printer, and nowadays file sizes
ton't really
matter if you have a fast parallel, an ethernet, or even an USB
connection to the
printer. So they don't care - they simply hack printer driver DLLs that
offer the
needed functionality (nearly) regardless of resources soncumption.

BTW, I'd follow the same lane in that segment of the market.

Helge

H.Blischke at srz-berlin.de
H.Blischke at srz-berlin.com
H.Blischke at acm.org