[cups.general] Multiple Connections on 631 and apparent loop

Michael Thrift mike at connectusnet.com
Sun May 23 20:17:46 PDT 2004

Hi,
     Well, I have fought with this for quite a while to no avail.  Here is my
system information:

OS: RH9.0
Printer: HP820Cxi
Driver: HP Deskjet 820C, Foomatic + pnm2ppa
CPU: 2.8Ghz P4
Ram: 512Mb
HDD Space remaining: 7Gb

K, so I have been trying to get my printer working for the longest time, and I
have yet to have any success.  The problem is that there appears to be a loop
occuring.  When I send the simplest document to print, the directory
/var/spool/cups is filled with random amounts of data no less than 100Mb to
7Gb, and this is from printing a 17Kb file for example.  So I have discovered
that the files which are being written to /var/spool/cups are completely
identical (determined via md5sums).  Now, I also discovered today that whenever
I start the cups daemon, eventually there are hundreds of connections to port
631 listed when I do a netstat (these are connections not listening ports), yet
nobody is connected to my system, and I have not sent anything to print.  The
list of connections continues to grow no matter what happens.  Originally I was
using Cups 1.1.17, and so I figured I'd upgrade to see if that would fix it,
and it has actually made things worse.  Another thing that happens when I try
to print is my hole system bogs down to a crawl, which definately shouldnt'
happen just from printing a 17Kb file.
     Another problem I have had is when I try to print color documents.  I have
never been able to find a setting that prevents the printer from spewing color
ink on the paper, the paper literally becomes wet with ink, which is obviously
expensive and wasteful.  I have set saturation to 0, I have tried messing with
the gamma but it does nothing, the only thing that seems to make a difference
is if I set it to econofast mode which means my copies are crap quality.  I
hope that's enough information, I have been fighting with this for months and
months, I am currently rebooting into windows to print cause I can't do it
without crashing Linux.  Thanks for any help!

Mike.