[cups.general] Cups

Anonymous anonymous at easysw.com
Sun May 9 09:53:46 PDT 2004

Bernd Schubert wrote:

> Another funny story is that the cups http configuration
> frontend doesn't list all drivers. For the epson stylus
> C82 only the non-working (Cups+gimprint) driver is listed,
> but not the working driver (foomatic+gimprint-ijs).

Have you reported this to Linuxprinting.org???

> Without
> the kde-printing manager I even wouldn't have known about
> the other driver,

KDE's "kaddprinterwizard" does 2 different things. It...

...uses all CUPS PPDs as listed in /usr/share/cups/model/*

...generates additional PPDs on the fly from the "Foomatic"
    database of XML description files. (The foomatic DB is
    maintained by Linuxprinting.org, and is focussed on makeing
    traditional Ghostscript "devices" to interface with CUPS.
    Most Linux distros ship the Foomatic packages.)

As you may have sensed by now, cups.org and Linuxprinting.org
are two separate endeavors...

So indeed, there may not have been your C82 foomatic driver listed
in the web or any other interface initially, but the KDE wizardry
has created it from the Foomatic raw data, and placed it into the
standard "model" directory of CUPS.  ;-) And from this point in
time it should also appear in the "official" CUPS list of supported
models (at least after re-starting cupsd), as you should be easily
able to confirm with "lpinfo -m".....

> since even its ppd is not listed at
> linuxprinting.org.

It looks like the Linuxprinting.org web interface to
generate PPDs online from the Foomatic driver database
is currently broken....