[cups.general] To get CUPS working via NIS

Martin Gruber gruber at ads.tuwien.ac.at
Fri May 21 00:14:19 PDT 2004

Hi!

On Wed, 19 May 2004 chetan at nachneni.com wrote:
> Can we have CUPS configured to use YP maps, RedHat 3.0 ships with CUPS
> instead of LPRng and the hack that we have implemented in redhat 7.2
> (for using printers.conf.byname using /etc/printfilter file) does not
> work with CUPS.

When using CUPS this "hack" is no longer necessary because printers are
distributed to the whole local network by default (when using IPP
capable clients, e.g. kprinter, xpp, CUPS itself of course, Win2k
WinXP, ...).

Have a look at your /etc/cups/cupsd.conf and search for 'Browse'
options there.

> any pointers/help is muchly appreaciated
>
> thanks

Bye
Martin