CUPS on 631 - Root/Root PW Don't Work

Alex Debussi alexd552 at dodgeit.com
Fri May 7 07:08:33 PDT 2004

I'm trying to configure CUPS on a new SuSE 9.0 installation, but cannot get in to configure it.  When I go to localhost:631 I get the correct response, choose administration, and then am asked for the username and password.  If I use root and the root pw, no luck - authentication failed.  No matter what I try it fails.  I've looked over all the newsgroups, setup guides, howtos, everything and can't seem to find any help.

I admit I am new to Linux..  could CUPS not be running, or would I not get the logon page if it wasn't?  Is there any conf file that would have the username needed in it?

Any suggestions at all would be GREATLY appreciated.