windows client

Anonymous anonymous at easysw.com
Fri May 21 21:50:59 PDT 2004

Jake wrote:
> Hello everybody. I use a SuSe 8.2 with Cups 1.1.18 and NO samba. On the local computer, printing works from all aplications.I can also configure cups from any computer in my network over the web frontend on port 631. That works also.My question is, how to PRINT from a windows computer over cups. I guess I have to use a driver on client side, like the "Adobe PostScript driver" or a ipp client. Is that right? I have installed only the Adobe PostScript driver on a win98 computer, but it doesn't work, because the driver dose not find the SuSe Computer with Cups. Can anybody help me? Thanks, Jake

You certainly can serve Windoze clients from CUPS, without Samba. No point in running Samba if you don't need to. You'll need to install the Windows IPP software:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows98/downloads/, look for "Internet Print Services." The file you want is wpnpins.exe. Install wpnpins.exe, then reboot however many times you need to. :) (no I don't like windows.)

Then to install the printer you'll need your Windows CD and printer driver disk. Fire up the Add Printer wizard. Select Network Printer; then add the printer URI. This consists of the IP address or server name, port number, and /printers/printer name. Be sure to use the exact name you gave the printer, like this:
http://192.168.1.5:631/printers/hp6L

windows will prompt you for whatever disks it needs. When it's all done, you should be able to print just fine. The test page will be a Windows test page.