[cups.general] Re: Lasers bar codes text and file size ...

C.Lee Taylor leet at leenx.co.za
Thu May 13 00:38:10 PDT 2004

Greetings ...

	Thanks John, for your quick responce ...

> I deleted your mail so I have to reply blindly.
	Don't worry, at least I thnk you understand my problem ...

> I am no linux,unix or windoze server warrior but I have encountered simular
> problems in the past on other systems.
	Nor am I ... Cheers!

> I assume your problem is down to file size
	Yes, size is the problem ... no matter what anybody else says, Size does COUNT!? ;-)

>	 when text is printed graphically
with uncompressed postscript.
	Well, the invoices and a few other forms, don't just have Text, Bar Codes and a Logo plus some nice form boards and so on ...

>  This is not a good idea.
	Don't tell me, I know this, tell the plicks who want to put this in ... ;-)

> You need to use
downloadable fonts or fonts that your printer has built into it and
understands.
	I understand, but these guys can't/won't download the fonts, and the printers are just HP 2300dn, which, to save a bucks, did not get the extra HDD for forms and fonts, which would have made this alot easier ...

> This will get the file size down providing that cups will allow
you to do it.
	Now this is my question ...

> It aught to.
	I throught it should ...

> If these documents contain bar codes you may still have a problem if the
system can not handle mixed text and graphics on one page.
	I think the Bar codes are just fonts ... again, if I can find aaway to download thes fonts to the printer, then I should be alright ...

> This is something that is outside my realm of experience.
	Mine too ... That is why I ask the list ... hoping a Guru will take pitty on my and help ...

> I left the commercial world a while
ago but it may point you in the right direction for a further information.
	Thanks ...

> If you have to print graphically your laser print speed will  be way down too.
	This does not bother me too much, it's the transfer of the print job that is the problem ...

	Okay, just to rehash ... hope them Guru's are standing by ...

	Common print jobs have a few things in common, which I don't think should be sent to the remote site all the time, but kept at the remote site and inserted into the print job just before been sent to the printer for printing.

	First been the fonts, Bar codes and all the other fonts that might be used.
	Second, the Logo.
	Third, possible the form it's self, but I think this is pretty small, a few straight lines I don't think will make up much.

	Now, I have to find a way to remove these large items from the required print jobs and then readd them at the printer.

	Also, because with a dotmatrix, one can print one job to carbonised papper and get multi copies, but with a Laser printer, one must reprint the job multi times to get multi copies, plus in our country, each copy needs to state which copy it is ... So, I would like to know if there is no way to insert some sort of marco into the PS file, that would either have CUPS at the remote site sumbit the three copies from one print job putting in with copy it is ...

	I'm hoping that somebody might have a little insight into my problem and can help ...

Thanks
Mailed
Lee