[cups.general] Backend URIs and Browsing

John Cohorn john at virCIO.com
Mon May 17 15:35:08 PDT 2004

Could someone please tell me what the appropriate URI would be to print
to a pdf distiller backend (or any other backend for that matter) on a
remote server? On the remote server, you can use pdf:/export/pdf for the
device URI, but I have no idea what the URI would be from the remote
client machine, and nothing that I have tried seems to work.

The other issue I have been having is that each machine here is running
cupsd and is set to "BrowsePoll" the main print server. The client
machines are able to print, but they do not take advantage of special
features such a duplex printing. Adding a printer with the IPP URI of
the main print server allows them to use these special features, but
this defeats the need for the nice automatic browsing.  We are setting
it up this way with cupsd running on each machine, so that changes that
each user makes, such as duplex printing options and tray selection, are
not seen by other users (they seem to be when client.conf is pointed to
the main print server). Maybe there is a better way.

Any help is greatly appreciated, as I've been looking into this cups
configuration most of the day (too tired to think about it :-) ). I hope
that this is the appropriate place to ask these questions, as the site
does not seem to have an archive of previous posts.