CUPS on 631 - Root/Root PW Don't Work

Russ russbucket at centurytel.net
Sat May 8 09:36:25 PDT 2004

Did you use the lppasswd command first? You need to use this command before
CUPS will allow you to admin the printers thru local host. I used
lppasswd -a root then you give it the password when it asks.
"Alex Debussi" <alexd552 at dodgeit.com> wrote in message
news:c7g591$klb$1 at dns.easysw.com...
> I'm trying to configure CUPS on a new SuSE 9.0 installation, but cannot
get in to configure it.  When I go to localhost:631 I get the correct
response, choose administration, and then am asked for the username and
password.  If I use root and the root pw, no luck - authentication failed.
No matter what I try it fails.  I've looked over all the newsgroups, setup
guides, howtos, everything and can't seem to find any help.

> I admit I am new to Linux..  could CUPS not be running, or would I not get
the logon page if it wasn't?  Is there any conf file that would have the
username needed in it?