[cups.general] Forms or Template printing ...

C.Lee Taylor leet at leenx.co.za
Wed May 12 04:23:04 PDT 2004

Greetings ...

	We have a few remote sites using dotmatrix printers at the moment, but
have to move to Laser printers because we need to start printing Bar Codes.

	The problem we are seeing, is that nothing can touch job size of a
dotmatrix printer.  With a dotmatrix print job of 2K, our new Laser
print jobs are 500K, which, as you could image is killing our remote
site links.

	What I was hoping to do, is remove the common data that is sent to the
printer each time these jobs are printer, and re-add this data when the
printer job is submitted from the remote CUPS server to the printer.

	I was thinking that this could be done with filter, but filters apply
to queues unconditionally.  I have not seen a away that I could say
something like if printer job name is INVOICE then do something.

	Second, I don't seem to be able to find away to remove commond data
from a print job, I'm able to see how to do Watermarks, which I could
use as a template, but I would have to do this for all jobs ...

	Another throught, could we put all the fonts that are been used in
these print jobs on the remote server and not transmit them over the
remote network?

Thanks
Mailed
Lee