hide a queue. Users shouldn't see all queues in OO, kprinter, etc.

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Sat May 22 15:52:51 PDT 2004

ekkard gerlach wrote:
> Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
> > ekkard gerlach wrote:
> >
> >>How can I hide printer queues that users shoudn't see.
> >>e.g. raw-queues that might confuse normal users.
> >>
> >>Users working with OpenOffice, kprinter, etc. normally
> >>see all printer queues. How can i hide some of the queues?
> >>

> > For kprinter you can make only a selection of CUPS printers
> > visible.
> >
> > 1. Click on "System Options..."
> >
> > 2. Click on "Filter" (left hand column)
> >
> > 3. Select from complete printer list (left panel) all
> >    printers you'd like to see  (hold [CTRL] key to make
> >    multiple selections) and click [->] button.
> >
> > 4. Confirm with [OK].
>
> o.k., but the user sees the queues. And the filter button is
> very near to den arrow, where you can select printers.
> So you might touch (not wanted!) the filter and suddenly
> 20 printers but not the select 3 printers appear. The office
> girls are confused, they ask their chief, the chief asks me,
> .... and plenty of time is wasted.

Sorry, there is no other option available currently.
You need to teach the offiice girls about that button,
and their chief too.

> Kurt, I need to hide printer queues that are not recovered
> by a mouseklick!

I need it too. I can't implement it. Can you?

> I think I'll recompile kprinter without
> the filter button (after I've installed a filter).

I see.

Why don't you investigate how you use "KDE kiosk mode" to
disable that button? (http://conference2004.kde.org/tutorials.php)

> That may be the best. I've done the same with trayimonc,
> a frontend for imonc, a control software for a fli4l router.
> Kurt, you can't imagine what my customer make wrong when
> the have a menu option "end" oder "configuration"! And it's
> my time I have to give support by telephone, I get no money
> for that!

I want to become your customer if you give free-of-charge
telephone support! Or, next time, you should negotiate
different contract rules.....

> > Alternatively or additionally, you can also use a regular
> > expression which should match the selection of printers:
> >
> > 3a. Make sure a text input field called "Location filter"
> >     is visible at lower end of dialog. (Resize dialog in
> >     lower vertical direction if it is not)
> >
> > 4a. Assuming you have filled into the "Location" field
> >     the department names "finance department", "customer
> >     service dept." and "marketing", to associate certain
> >     printers with these departments. Now you could fill
> >     in the regex "*in*" to make visible all printers from
> >     the "marketing" and finance" departments to that user
>
> I don't understand.

It just could serve to make it less work setting up
filters for users, if the descriptive "Location" string
associated with each CUPS print queue (may be empty in
your case) is intelligently used by the CUPS admin to
group to gether printers which should be visible to the
same people...

But of course you can always select them individually
too....

> But the selection by a filter like above
> is the think that is the best.
>
> >    $HOME/.kde*/share/config/kprinterrc

Sorry, should could probably have been

      $HOME/.kde*/share/config/kdeprintrc

There should be 2 keys named "LocationRe" and "Printers" in a
section titledd "[Filter]". Hope my memory didn't fool me this
time.

> there's not much to:
>
> [KPrinter Settings]
> ApplicationOptions=
> DialogReduced=false
> FilterEnabled=true
> PrintCommand=
> Printer=kyocera_hanne
>
> ... I can recognize FilterEnabled=true, nothing more has changed.
> I hoped to find a list of printers, but no!
>

> > file. So you could also manually edit that file for each
> > user and use KDE's "kiosk" mode to make it immutable.
>
> hmmm ... is it possible to make the filter button ummutable, too?

Yes. Just make the setting "FilterEnabled=true" immutable....

> thank you Kurt,
> Ekkard

Cheers,
Kurt