[cups.general] Backend URIs and Browsing

Helge Blischke H.Blischke at srz-berlin.de
Tue May 18 03:50:21 PDT 2004

John Cohorn wrote:

> Could someone please tell me what the appropriate URI would be to print
> to a pdf distiller backend (or any other backend for that matter) on a
> remote server? On the remote server, you can use pdf:/export/pdf for the
> device URI, but I have no idea what the URI would be from the remote
> client machine, and nothing that I have tried seems to work.
You needn't define the printer on the client machine - it hsould get the
printer
via the browse polling, and it will be accessed from the client machine
via IPP.

> The other issue I have been having is that each machine here is running
> cupsd and is set to "BrowsePoll" the main print server. The client
> machines are able to print, but they do not take advantage of special
> features such a duplex printing. Adding a printer with the IPP URI of
> the main print server allows them to use these special features, but
> this defeats the need for the nice automatic browsing.  We are setting
> it up this way with cupsd running on each machine, so that changes that
> each user makes, such as duplex printing options and tray selection, are
> not seen by other users (they seem to be when client.conf is pointed to
> the main print server). Maybe there is a better way.
In this configuration, each user may set up his/her own lpoptions file
(besides the
"global" one). It works with printers configured on the central CUPS
server.
So what is the real problem? Even such fancy things as kprinter
work and let you select properties defined in the PPD residing on the
remote server.

> Any help is greatly appreciated, as I've been looking into this cups
> configuration most of the day (too tired to think about it :-) ). I hope
> that this is the appropriate place to ask these questions, as the site
> does not seem to have an archive of previous posts.

Helge

H.Blischke at srz-berlin.de
H.Blischke at srz-berlin.com
H.Blischke at acm.org