[cups.general] cups printing to Windows IPP Server

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Fri May 21 17:49:22 PDT 2004

Jakub Troszok wrote:

> Hello,
> Thank you for your previous answers.
>
> Now I would like to print using CUPS on printers that are
> attached to Windows machines.

Microsoft doesn't use the (recommended standard) IPP-1.1 version,
but the (informational draft) IPP-1.0.

That means they don't support the IPP-1.1 authentication schemes.
They use their own, Windows-only methods (NTLM & .NET "passport")
-- or none at all (which means "anonymous" access).

Also, be aware that, the "device URI" to use for accessing a
Windows-attached printer via IPP is like this:

  http://windowsservername:80/printers/printersharename/.printer

Note 1: Microsoft uses port 80 (not 631) -- but you can leave that
bit away.

Note 2: Microsoft wants you to add the magic string "/.printer" at
the end -- don't let it be missed.

> I've got Windows 2000 Server with IIS and IPP but the
> problem is that everytime I want to print something I
> got client-not-authorized error.
>
> I cannot configure my cups client applications to connect
> to windows server.

See above about the device URI to be used for Windows-attached
printers.

> I changed the .cupsrc and exported
> IPP_PORT variable but it doesn't work.

See above. Be aware that CUPS also knows a "DEVICE_URI" environment
variable.

> For example the KDE KPrint asks me about the username
> and passwords but I got error anyway.

That is because KDEPrint doesn't know about NTLM and .NET passport
authentication.

> Is authentication not supported by CUPS

Of course it is! It implements the complete standard of IPP as layed
down in the RFCs

> or is it
> problem of KDEPrint ?

No.

> I cannot configure a printer on cups server to connect
> to windows server using the credentials.
> I suppose it could be done
> by changing the configuration file, but I don't want to
> let/force users running their OpenOffice/KWord on my
> linux box to change the CUPS config.

Printing is the most complicated everyday IT issue on *all*
platforms. And this is especially true if it comes to cross-platform
interoperability.

> Do you plan to port CUPS also on Windows ?

I remember people asking this before in this forum, and some
seemed to contemplate a Cygwin-port of CUPS. But I never heard
of anyone who succeeded.

I myself would be most interested in this.

> The home versions of Windows are not able
> to share their printers using the IPP protocol
> so it would be nice if we could use CUPS both
> on Linux/Unix and Windows platforms.
>
> --
> Jakub Troszok <troszok at nomachine.com>
> http://www.nomachine.com

NoMachine and NX are really cool! Congratulations to this
fine piece of software. I have never before seen a remote
X connection as fast as NX. It feels very close to a local
X session even if run over a Modem or ISDN link.

I hope you succeed in getting NX to print with using CUPS.
If you do, there will be a real competition for Citrix/ICA
and Tarantella based on open standards and Open Source for
the first time. It could change the world of network desktop
computing.

Cheers,
Kurt