[cups.general] Cups

John john_82 at tiscali.co.uk
Fri May 7 15:46:25 PDT 2004

Hi
I would like to be provocative.
I have successfully worked on a variaty of platforms over the past 35 years.
Printing is to say the least almost a universal 'computing' requirement and
here we have cups. The underlying documentation is appallingly bad. The ppd
file specification is an excellent example. It was clearly written by some
one who knows what they are doing and assumes that every one else does too.
While this is great for the 'boys' it's not much use for anybody else
especially the inexperienced. It's also clear from the questions posted here
that the same comments  can be applied to cups documentation in general. And
as to postscript. I first came across that when daisy wheels, dot matrix and
termi printers where in common use. I was utterly amazed by what went out to
the printer. These days I am left wondering about the impact on the actual
print engine in comparison with something like the windoze gdi system. Not an
area I have ever looked at but curiosity will tempt me one day. Surely this
whole area is in need of an overhaul. As things stand the best long term
answer to anybody with cups problems would involve a wholesale move to
windows. This has allready happened in lots of areas.

If anybody knows of any links that at least correct or help with the
documention aspects of the above could they please post them. I have no
alternative other than to use windows in persuit of my profession but I would
at least like to have some freedom at home. This is a linux box. I like what
I see. In that particular area I am left wondering why some one hasn't
produced code that make use of the windows driver that COMES WITH EVERY
PRINTER THAT IS CURRENTLY AVAILABLE. This has been done with codecs. The case
is a lot clearer with printers. If one buys a printer one has clearly bought
the driver that comes with it and the facilities it offers. I am firmly
convinced that Linux will remain in the backwaters until this area is
finalised and all installations are at least tidied up and made more
transparent to the typical user.

john
ps I'm annoyed.