migrating from lprng to cups: printer aliases

Pierre Habouzit pierre.habouzit at m4x.org
Wed May 12 07:05:46 PDT 2004

    hi, I would like to migrate an actual lprng server into a cups one.

    at the moment, printers have aliases that modify their options.
for example, we have hp8, hp8sf (for one side), hp8rv (for two-side) and so
on. And there is some home-maid scripts that add the good options to the
lpr command line. it's ugly, and moreover, there is some issues if two
persons print at the same time on two different printers that are in fact
the same

    I would like to do the same with cups (and the cups-lpd compability
daemon), but i don't want users to change their command line habits, and
thus cannot use the builtin printer instances scheme of cups because of the
'/' thing ...

    So is there a way to tell the server that the "hp8sf" printer is in fact
his hp8/sf ? or in a simpler way, is it possible to add the same printer
twice with different options in the printer.conf file witouht messing up
the spool and queuing stuff ?

    any suggestion is welcome.
--
Pierre Habouzit