[cups.general] Cups

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Sun May 9 06:30:42 PDT 2004

Bernd Schubert wrote:
> May I kindly ask for better debugging support in cups? I already wrote once
> to cups.development how I think cups log messages should look like,
> unfortunality I never got a response.

I never saw the message.

Quick response after looking at the archived message: the kind of
message grouping you are looking for is not feasible given that the
multiple jobs can be printing at the same time and the volume of
messages is not limited.

That said, the current format would allow for a filter based on the
job ID to extract only those messages which are associated with a
job to provide much the same output you are looking for, and then
a little software analysis could tell you the probable cause of the
failure.  The (free) ESP Log Viewer software on our main site
("http://www.easysw.com/printpro/", then follow the links) is an
initial effort towards doing just that - it can determine many
common problems with a click of a button.

> Well, I don't know if you consider debian to be a printer-friendly distro,
> but it currently has certain problems with epson inkjet printers.
> My bugreport is here:

> The debian maintainer still didn't answer. I also posted the problem to this
> list but got no answer. Later another report regarding debian+cups+epson
> was posted to this list, but Vittorio also got no helpful answer.

Well, given that all/most of the Debian developers are volunteers
and may not have access to the resources needed to help you, why
do you expect them to help you or be able to help you?

> Another funny story is that the cups http configuration frontend doesn't
> list all drivers. For the epson stylus C82 only the non-working
> (Cups+gimprint) driver is listed, but not the working driver
> (foomatic+gimprint-ijs). Without the kde-printing manager I even wouldn't
> have known about the other driver, since even its ppd is not listed at
> linuxprinting.org.

Well, if the PPD file is there, then it will be listed by the web
interface.  I don't know if the Foomatic drivers are installed via
PPD files or through some other means (I don't use it, personally),
however if they aren't using the standard CUPS mechanisms to list
drivers then shame on them...

As for the difference, CUPS+Gimp-Print and Foomatic+gimpprint-ijs
should be using the same Gimp-Print drivers (one linked to CUPS
as rastertoprinter and one links to the IJS stuff and used through
Ghostscript...)  All I can guess is that you are not using a version
of Ghostscript that has been compiled with CUPS support.