[cups.general] query about the cups class scheduling algorithm

Ashley GC csuwf at dcs.warwick.ac.uk
Wed May 12 08:07:24 PDT 2004

Hi cups fans,

Needless to say, I've checked the documentation and the newsgroups
with no success, so:

Why does cups schedule a job sent to a class on a printer which is
unavailble (e.g. turned off) ?

( Versions:
distro: RedHat 9
cups version: From RedHat RPM: cups-1.1.17-13.3.0.3
kernel: From RedHat RPM: kernel-2.4.20-30.9
)

As a text, I have created a class with two printers, and leave one
printer turned off. I send a job, which goes to the first printer, I
then wait a few minutes, then send another job, which gets sent to the
second printer. Except it's turned off so it stays in the queue.

The function that seems to be the cause is FindAvailablePrinter in
scheduler/classes.c, and it does not seem to take into account the
current state of the printer being checked, except to see if it's
(last known?) status is idle.

Is this functionality considered ok, or is under review?, in which
case I'd like to suggest:
- dynamic load balancing of jobs on queues on the same class
- monitoring of printers (ICMP pings, or better, test-connects to the
  port that will be used (tcp/631, tcp/515, ...)

Thanks in advance,

Ashley GC.