[cups.general] lp and lpr commands

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Fri May 7 19:58:13 PDT 2004

Michael Banta wrote:

> Hello.
>
> There seem to be two commands that allow you to submit print jobs from
> the command line:
>
> lp
> and
> lpr
>
> If I use the command lp <namedprinter> text.file, I get the response:
> request id is banta-12 (1 file(s)).
>
> However, if I use the command lpr <namedprinter> text.file, I get no
> response, just the prompt back.
>
> I have been reading on how to configure CUPS and these two commands seem
> to get tossed around with no explaination on which one should be used.
> They apprear to do the same thing.

lp is the System V printing command, which prints the job ID.

lpr is the Berkeley printing command, which does not print the job
ID.

Both do essentially the same thing, they are printing commands that
CUPS emulates for systems that are Berkeley or System V based...
You can use either command interchangeably.