[cups.general] Cups AND for anybody adding printer for the 1st time

John john_82 at tiscali.co.uk
Tue May 11 00:08:28 PDT 2004

On Sunday 09 May 2004 17:23, Anonymous wrote:
> SUSE has a habit to change package default configurations
> without changing the package documentation accordingly.
>
> With regard to CUPS they use now the "RunAsUser" directive.
>
> Also, they use "AuthType BasicDigest" (which means you must
> use "lppasswd -a root" first of all to add root to the printer
> admin data base.....)
>
> HTH.
> (And direct your complaints to SUSE, please)

Hi Anon..........
Not sure about that, may be best to blame cups,suse and samsung and President
Bush. (It's about time he was blamed for something)
So far:
The PPD file doesn't meet the ppd spec.
Either suse or easysw provide a sample cupsd.conf file that has an odd default
adim setting.
I'm sure Bush and or Blair must be in it somewhere.

I have the samsung running now. What did I do?
I completely uninstalled it. Easy with samsung as they provide something for
it. I then edited etc/cups/cupsd.conf at the end as follows adding the # to
the 1st 3 lines to comment them out and then the rest:

#AuthType BasicDigest
#AuthClass Group
#AuthGroupName sys
AuthType None
AuthClass Anonymous
AuthGroupName lp

This will allow anybody (I suspect) to set up the printer initially. A
username and password can be added at that point. I used root and my usual
password. Then the facility to add printers etc isn't available to any other
user. MUST REBOOT after changing the file. AND I have gained the impression
that the installation process must be completed in one step. ie. Don't try to
make a failed installation work. Start it all over again after the reboot. In
the samsungs case I started a kde session as root and started the
installation in the consol. Running it in KDE did nothing other than allow it
run PROPERLY from the CONSOLE ! (understatement) Think KDE has a bit of an
issue there.

QUOTE (for all including MS)
Finishing software is 90% of the work. It's far easier to keep adding more
facilities. Good user documentation is even harder...........

Leaves me wondering why cups has to have separate passwords etc and why it
doesn't default to su or root until somebody changes it. Isn't the system
security good enough? Are printers zealously guarded? Oddly the new options
are the (suse) reccomended defaults. The conf file is by easysw! I added the
lp as I assumed that this would be needed to allow users to change printer
settings. Seems to work and be fine for a workstations at least. I don't see
the point in using the command line to do the same thing. If it's a dirty
interface - may as well use an editor.

PS
I'm dreading getting the wife's laptop to work with it via the router.

All the best
 john