[cups.general] using cups running on ports different than 631...

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Mon May 17 06:03:27 PDT 2004

Jakub Troszok wrote:
> Hello,
> is it possible to configure cups to use server
> running on different than standard port?
>
> I'm trying to integrate the CUPS printing into
> our NX Thinkclient solution.
> I would like to encapsulate the CUPS traffic
> from remote server to my local machine.
> On remote server I open the port for example 2501
> and I forward everything to my local cups server
> to the port 631.
>
> I was trying to use the .cupsrc file in my home
> directory with one single line ServerName localhost:2501
> and it doesn't work. When I start the printer configuration
> tool from KDE it shows that it is trying to connect to:
> localhost:2501:631 .

Right, that isn't a supported naming convention.  Either set
the IPP_PORT environment variable to the correct number or
add an "ipp" line in /etc/services with the correct number.

If you'd like to see port support in client.conf/.cupsrc, please
file an enhancement request at:

     http://www.cups.org/str.php