query for printer location

Anonymous anonymous at easysw.com
Fri May 14 09:26:24 PDT 2004

Is there an easy way to query cups (like from the command line) to get a list of available printers complete with their descriptions (-D) and locations (-L) as given to lpadmin?

"lpstat -v" is close to what I want, but I can't see any way to tell the description or location of each printer.

How would a printing application (say a shell script) find out what printers are available to present a print dialog to the user which was complete with all information about each printer?