[cups.general] Can not get proper output on Lexmark 2491

Guenther Frick gfrick at gmx.net
Tue May 11 11:21:46 PDT 2004

Chad Wilson wrote:
> Anonymous wrote:
>
>>Most needle printers work with IBM Proprinter or EPSON emulation.
>>There are 9- and 24pin printers. Choose a similar EPSON model.
>>
>>Install Foomatic then you will have the choice of all printers.
>

> Thanks for the response, but I must admit that I still have no clue what to do. I do not understand this reference to  "Epson Emulation".
> The printer is a Lexmark 2491, 24pin impact printer. Is "Epson Emulation" the PDL? If so, then I need to have cups-raster perform raster-to-epson? As mentioned, I tried using the Epson 24 pin generic driver. I am not sure if this is a PPD or a foomatic filter or what. All I know is that it is listed as a printer type along with postscript, raw, and text. When I use this driver, the output of the printer is garbage - characters beyond normal ASCII printing(128+).
>
> This printer works using LPRng with the following entry:
> tq2|unix2:\
>         :ab:\
>         :ml=0:\
>         :mx=0:\
>         :sd=/var/spool/lpd/tq2:\
>         :af=/var/spool/lpd/tq2/tq2.acct:\
>         :rm=netq0.xx.xx.xxx:\
>         :rp=tq2:\
>         :lpd_bounce=true:\
>         :if=/usr/share/printconf/util/mf_wrapper:

The parameters in /etc/printcap are used no longer.

> I can not figure out what magic filter does other than prepare the options for Ghostscript.

This job does Foomatic from www.linuxprinting.org instead of Magigfilter

or Apsfilter.  If you install Foomatic it produces PPD files for all
printers and places them under /usr/share/cups/model
The PPD files contain information what to do with the Postscript file
send to CUPS. Then Foomatic calls Ghostscript with certain parameters.

Here you will find some Epson printers. Try e. g. LQ-2550 or 850.

> There has to be a way to get this printer to work using CUPS since CUPS still uses GhostScript. Isn't there some way I can get magic filter to work with CUPS?
>
> Aparantely there are NO PostScript forms printers in production so I am left with no options other than to continue to trouble shoot this one.
>
> Chad
Read this intoduction:
http://linuxprinting.org/cups-doc.html