[cups.general] cross-subnet browseing and Mac OS X

pll+cups at permabit.com pll+cups at permabit.com
Wed May 26 05:42:55 PDT 2004

Hi all,

I have a cups server running on my internal LAN.  We want to enable
printing from our wireless clients as well, so I set up a cups server
on our wireless network which points to the existing server on the
internal LAN.

In theory, I would expect to see all my printers available on my
internal printserver on a wireless client.  Using a Mac (OS X 10.3.3),
I would expect to see the printers show up in my Printer Setup Utility
under a 'Shared' heading much like they do for when the same Mac is
on the internal LAN.  But I don't get anything.

If I manually type in 'lpstat -h <servername> -t' to a client on
my Mac at a terminal window, I get a listing of all my printers.

So, am I missing something in my configuration on the 'BrowseRelay' server?
I have the following in the cupsd.conf file on the 'BrowseRelay'
server:

    Browsing On
    BrowseProtocols all
    BrowseAddress 10.1.255.255:631
    BrowseAddress 255.255.255.255:631
    BrowseShortNames Yes
    BrowseAllow from 10.0.255.255
    BrowseAllow from 10.1.255.255
    BrowseAllow from 255.255.255.255
    BrowseAllow from 127.0.0.1
    BrowseAllow from whomping-willow.permabit.com
    BrowseAllow from ntts.permabit.com
    BrowseAllow from never-talk-to-strangers.permabit.com
    BrowseAllow from *.permabit.com
    BrowseInterval 30
    BrowseOrder allow,deny
    BrowseRelay 127.0.0.1 10.1.255.255
    BrowsePoll print-server.permabit.com

    <Location />
        Order Deny,Allow
        Deny From All
        Allow From 127.0.0.1
        Allow From 10.1.255.255
        Allow From localhost
        Allow From ntts
        Allow From ntts.permabit.com
        Allow From never-talk-to-strangers.permabit.com
        Allow From whomping-willow
        Allow From whomping-willow.permabit.com
        Allow From *.permabit.com
    </Location>
    <Location /printers>
         Order Deny,Allow
         Deny From All
         Allow From 127.0.0.1
         Allow From 10.1.255.255
         Allow From localhost
         Allow From ntts
         Allow From ntts.permabit.com
         Allow From never-talk-to-strangers.permabit.com
         Allow From whomping-willow
         Allow From whomping-willow.permabit.com
         Allow From *.permabit.com
    </Location>
    <Location /admin>
         AuthType Basic
         AuthClass System
         Order Deny,Allow
         Deny From All
         Allow From 127.0.0.1
    </Location>

Thanks,
--
Seeya,
Paul

GPG Key fingerprint = 1660 FECC 5D21 D286 F853  E808 BB07 9239 53F1 28EE