[cups.general] How do I print postscript files ?

Martin Gruber gruber at ads.tuwien.ac.at
Tue May 11 06:04:16 PDT 2004

Hi!

On Tue, 11 May 2004 v.sudeep at exgate.tek.com wrote:
> Hi !!!
>
> I guess my problem must be quite a silly one and probably well documented
> too, but I dont seem to be able to "see" the answers..
>
> I have installed CUPS 1.1.20 in my i386 Linux box. I have got it to print
> text files but so far have been unable to print simple postscript files.
> What is the easiest way to get to print postscript files ? what are the
> filters to be used. I need lightweight programs since space is a major
> concern for us.

I'm a little bit confused: Postscript is the native printing format
under *nix and CUPS.

Text files do print? Normally text will be converted into PS before it
is send to the printer.
Does a CUPS test page work? It's PS, too.

Try to increase the loglevel to debug in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf, restart
cupsd and try to find out what filters are called for your print job. Is
it possible to try other PS files (perhaps the one you are testing with
has been corrupted in some way). If you have problems getting
information out of the logfile post the *relevant*part* to this list.

Your printer? Is it a PS printer?

> Also, what is the easiest way for CUPS to make use of ghostscript as a
> filter. How do I do this ?

The foomatic filter. See http://www.linuxprinting.org

But this filter is only necessary if you own a non PS/PCL printer!

> Thanks in advance
> - S u d e e p    V

Bye
Martin