[cups.general] Serial print issue

Steven Howe steven.howe at verizon.net
Wed May 12 12:50:13 PDT 2004

I have a laserjet III that I'm trying to setup to use the serial port
(save myself $90 for a jetdirect card).

Target OS is linux.
Test setup on windows 98se works fine. When I print in Linux the printer
post error 40. Below is a junk of a page from HP that describe Error 40.
-------------
40 Error

All

Indicates a protocol error occurred during the transfer of data from the
computer to the printer.

This error can be caused by a loose or damaged cable, loss of power to
the computer while the printer is online, or incompatible baud rate,
parity, data bits, or stop bits settings.

In addition, this error can occur on the HP LaserJet III or IIID series
printer if the I/O is configured to serial and serial is set to RS-422
before a cable is attached to the serial I/O on the printer and/or the
host system.

--------------

Of the possible, I can only see "incompatible baud rate, parity, data
bits, or stop bits settings" as being reasonable. I've used cups web
interface to add
DeviceURI serial:/dev/ttyS0?baud=9600+bits=8+parity=none+flow=soft

I've use stty to set crtsrts.
Ive used 'setserial /dev/ttyS0 uart 16550A port 0x03f8 irq 4 baud_base
9600'

The laserjet III is set for BAUD:9600, ROBUST XON=ON, DTR Polarity=HI

Can anyone help me on this?

Steven Howe <steven.howe at verizon.net>