CUPS Arabic support ?

Ahmad Khalifa ahmadkhalifa at hotmail.com
Sun May 23 12:19:15 PDT 2004

Michael Sweet wrote:
> It is not a technical issue, but a legal one.  Any core code in
> CUPS MUST be owned by us or available under an unrestrictive license
> (i.e. BSD-style) since we relicense the code under other licenses
> (such as the one that Apple uses, although there are other companies
> licensing the code as well)
>
> Also, depending on an ALPHA-quality piece of software
> for a core part of CUPS printing is also something we do not want to
> do.
>
> In short, in order for us to accept your patch, it must be
> unencumbered and not depend upon a third-party library that cannot
> be included in the CUPS source code.

ok, what about LGPL ?
you can do whatever you want with it.

here is what FriBidi's author had to say..

behdad esfahbod wrote:
Since FriBidi is LGPLed, there should be absolutely no problem
with relicensing CUPS.  That's why FriBidi is LGPLed.
Technically, even Microsoft can ship FriBidi in Windows with no
licensing problem as long as they don't touch the code.  Even if
they touch the code, all they need to do is to give the modified
source code of FriBidi too, but nothing else.

ak.