[cups.development] CUPS Driver Help - Copy generation

Brenden J. Bain bainey at pcpro.net.au
Sun May 30 01:08:33 PDT 2004

Hi all,

I have been writing a printer driver for my old printer using CUPS. The
printer driver works fine, my question is about copy generation.

In my ppd definition for the printer I have added the line:

*cupsManualCopies: True

To my, albeit very limited, knowledge this makes the "pstops" filter to
output the same page a certain number of times so that drivers to not
have to worry about copies.

However, it appears to me I still have to worry about the case when the
input comes raw from a file rather than through standard input. What can
we do in these cases? Is it even worth worrying about?

One thought that I had would be to use the "lseek" call to record the
position a page starts and then to later "lseek" to this position and
print the page again. I am not sure if this will work because I am not
sure how the "cups_raster_t" is managed. If it buffers reads, then
changing position on the fd will be place the buffer and fd out of sync.
It appears at the moment that "cups_raster_t" does not buffer data,
(looking at the header) but can or will this behaviour change in the
future? Should I even care?

Thanks,
Brenden Bain.