Sending user context to lpd backends instead of username

Franta Hanzlik hanzlik at spse.pilsedu.cz
Mon Nov 1 22:45:32 PST 2004

Our school printing system is accessible via lpd, but as username expect full user context (e.g. "leo.student.spse" /as "cn=leo,ou=student,o=spse" /). Context can be easy obtained from LDAP, but how use it with CUPS on our Linux/Redhat workstations?
And when isnĀ“t possible resolve this without CUPS modification, where is best place for it, in lpd backend or cups daemon? We have about 30 diskless klients on Linux terminal server and about 50 standalone workstations with CUPS v1.20

Thanks!