Prepending PCL to output

Helge Blischke H.Blischke at srz-berlin.de
Tue Nov 2 05:24:19 PST 2004

Anonymous wrote:

> We run a mixed environment of WinXP, Linux, HPUX, Mainframes and assorted minicomputers and we are using Linux/Samba/Cups to support our Windows workstations.
>
> We have a legacy app that runs on a remote mini that generates plain text intended for a preprinted form.  I would like to route this output thru our CUPS spooler to an HP LaserJet.  To format it correctly (to fit the preprinted form), I need to add appropriate PJL/PCL commands.  We've done this before with both Sys V and BSD style printing, but I'm unsure as to the appropriate approach with CUPS.
>
> There is nothing in the print file that can be used to declare it a MIME type, so I think I will have to declare a printer and use a Sys V style interface.
>
> Am I heading in the right direction?
>
> Any tips on using a Sys V interface with CUPS? How would I use a CUPS back end with my interface?

Just set up the printer by
	lpadmin -p your_legacy_printer -i the_old_sysv_interface_script -v
device_uri
where the device URI should be something like "file:/dev/lp0" if
/dev/lp0 was the
address of the printer under the sysv spooler.
When printing to that printer, CUPS calls the script much as the good
old sysv spooler did.
Note, all the fancy IPP job attributes won't work then.

Helge

--
Helge Blischke
Softwareentwicklung