[cups.general] Any way to print to an old IBM 6400 - can't find a working driver

Jonathan Wilson jw at mailsw.com
Tue Nov 2 14:04:08 PST 2004

Hello,

I'm am trying to get CUPS (currently using cups-1.1.19 on SuSE Linux 9.0) to
print to an IBM 6412 pine printer. I have seen a few vague articles on
google indicating that some people may have got this working but ever
driver I've tried so far has cause a lot of gibberish to print (as always
happens when you use the wrong print driver).

The printer is attached to the computer via parallel port, and CUPS is set
to use that port.

The printer can emulate the IBM ProPrinter III and Epson FX line printers. I
tried the ProPrinter II driver, and various generic and dot matrix drivers
and all of them produce gibberish.

The test machine we have it on also has Win2k, which can print to the
printer just fine, so it is certainly a driver issue.

Does anyone know of any method of printing to any these printer types.
Doesn't even have to be CUPS - though cups would certainly be preferable.

Thanks,

        JW