Using MIME types to force raw printing

ms at psa-systeme.de ms at psa-systeme.de
Wed Nov 3 04:51:14 PST 2004

I tried to use a custom MIME type to force raw printing for files, which contain Kyocera Prescribe commands (Kyocera's proprietary PDL).

I found that there is an undocumented feature of CUPS concerning the /etc/cups/*.mimes configuration file:

CUPS seems to treat everything which is declared as a MIME type like "text/*" as text/plain. As long as I stuck to my MIME definition as "text/prescribe", my conversion rule was not executed (auto-typing still recognized my file as text/plain and converted it to postscript).

I had to name my MIME type as "application/prescribe" to make that work.