Bug in pstops?

Christoph Litauer litauer at uni-koblenz.de
Thu Nov 4 07:48:57 PST 2004

Helge Blischke wrote:

>>But as Michael stated before, the reason is that I use foomatic drivers ...
>>
>>Just two more questions:
>>1.) Wouldn't it be better to run pstops _after_ foomatic-rip?
>>2.) I I switch back to the native printer ppd files, how can I force all
>>windows clients to reload the printer driver?
>>
> ad 2:	If the printer is a native PostScript printer (except level1, see
> above),
> 	I'd suggest not to use the foomatic stuff but the vendor supplied PPD;
> 	the pstops filter (to my experience at least) works very well with
> these
> 	(though it is wise to run the PPDs through cupstestppd and fix the
> errors).
> 	To reload the Winxx drivers, there are two approaches:
> 	a) the conventional one: delete all (literally ALL) printers that use
> the
> 	   PPDs in question (or, if you know what you are doing, delete the
> 	   respective files "by hand") and then re-create all these printer
> instances.
> 	b) (works only in NT4 and higher): write a login script that recreates
> 	   all the printer instances at login time.

Thank you much for the information, Helge.

One remark for point 2., because I know a lot of people look for a
solution: For the active samba-sessions you can force a driver reload using
	smbcontrol smbd drvupgrade <drivername>
All running clients connected to a printer using <drivername> will be
informed to reinstall the driver files. smbcontrol is part of samba
suite 3.0.x

--
Regards
Christoph
Christoph Litauer                  litauer at uni-koblenz.de
Uni Koblenz, Computing Center,     http://www.uni-koblenz.de/~litauer
Postfach 201602, 56016 Koblenz     Fon: +49 261 287-1311, Fax: -100 1311
PGP-Key: http://www.uni-koblenz.de/~litauer/public-key.html