Manual Duplex Printing in General

Helge Blischke H.Blischke at srz-berlin.de
Fri Nov 5 06:11:41 PST 2004

David wrote:

> Helge Blischke wrote:
> > If you mean first printing the odd pages, then reloading the media and
> > printing the even
> > pages, this can be done with CUPS: use the options "page-set=odd" and
> > "page-set=even",
> > respecively.
>
> Hmm, interesting - that explains a few things then! This is easy to do from most applications (odd/even), but it's a bit of a faff.
>
> I'm assuming that with an automatic duplexer in your printer and proper driver support then automatic duplexing is fine. I'm just wondering how to go about doing this remotely over a network with mutiple CUPS servers running on different machines. My CUPS server just flat out told me that the remote CUPS server didn't do duplexing. Is a remote CUPS server able to report what a printer supports to a local CUPS server?

Yes and no. Yes for the attributes defined by the IPP rfcs and/or the
official CUPS
documentation, the cups server queries the printer by IPP request for
the supported
attributes, and for local non-IPP printers it looks into the PPD if a
corresponding
option is supported. No for attributes that are sort of "user defined"
and completely
evaluated by special filters (or modified standard filters) and are not
contained
in any supported spec or PPD.

--
Helge Blischke