[cups.general] Re: client-error-not-authorized

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Fri Nov 5 08:48:12 PST 2004

Hello,

On Nov 5 08:39 Anonymous wrote (shortened):
> Bob wrote:
> > When installing a new printer using YaST2 on SuSe 9.1,
> > I continuously get the following error:
> > client-error-not-authorized
> > It happens when "finishing."
> > I've tried to reinstall the servers, etc. but I'm stuck.
>
> I'm getting the same eroor.

See the manuals or have a look at
http://portal.suse.com/sdb/en/2004/05/jsmeix_print-cups-in-a-nutshell.html
If problems are encountered:
1. Set the "LogLevel debug" in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf.
2. Stop cupsd.
3. Move /var/log/cups/error_log* to another location (or delete it)
   to avoid having to search through gigantic log files.
4. Start cupsd.
5. Retry the action leading to the problem.
6. Now /var/log/cups/error_log* contains many messages that are useful
   for troubleshooting.

When /var/log/cups/error_log doesn't reveal the cause of the problem
then following brutal method should help:
http://portal.suse.com/sdb/en/2004/07/pohletz_cups_manual_reinstall.html

Additionally you may have a look at the following example
for a less brutal method:
http://lists.suse.com/archive/suse-linux-e/2004-Jun/4134.html

Regards
Johannes Meixner