[cups.general] incomplete PostScript print jobs

Thomas J Pinkl tom at hbsrx.com
Tue Nov 9 05:51:22 PST 2004

I have CUPS 1.1.20 on a Fedora Core 2 Linux box, printing to an
HP LaserJet 5MP printer, which is connected to an HP JetDirect 500x
ethernet print server.  I'm having a problem with incomplete print
jobs.  Specifically, only the first page of a PostScript file will
print.

I've been using the Red Hat "printconf" tool to configure the print
queues.  The queue type is Networked JetDirect.  I've tried various
printer drivers.  The Generic PostScript driver and the HP 5MP
PostScript driver both produce only the first page of the printout.
However, if I set it up as a Raw print queue then the entire document
prints.  Also, if I bypass CUPS entirely with a command such as this:

  cat file.ps |nc hp500x.example.com 9100

then the entire document prints.

Does anyone have an idea of why the CUPS PostScript drivers do not
produce the expected result?

--
Thomas J. Pinkl                         738 Louis Drive
Unix Systems Programmer                 Warminster, Pa 18974