Problems unless root

Anonymous anonymous at easysw.com
Tue Nov 9 11:51:48 PST 2004

I'm having problems printing with cups 1.1.20 under gentoo.  Started by printing not appearing and not being able to set any options under gnome.  I narrowed down at least part of my problem using the command line as it seems sensible to fix this a step at a time.

lpoptions -l gives me a sensible output as root but if I run it as a normal user then I get "lpoptions: Destination samsung has no PPD file!"

I have checked that samsung.ppd is in /etc/cups/ppd.  Logging with debug2 seems to show (to my uneducated eyese) that the ppd is being read - I can post it if it will help but it's fairly long.

All I could find related to this anywhere else is that setting ServerName could mess things up, so I've just re-emerged cups to make sure I've got the default cupsd.conf but that's made no difference.  Just to avoid any doubt, here is the grep'd file:

DocumentRoot /usr/share/cups/docs
LogLevel info
User lp
Group lp
SystemGroup lp
<Location />
Order Deny,Allow
Deny From All
Allow From 127.0.0.1
</Location>
<Location /admin>
AuthType Basic
AuthClass System
Order Deny,Allow
Deny From All
Allow From 127.0.0.1
</Location>

I guess it's some sort of permission problem but I can't find anything anywhere which looks odd or gives me a clue.

Any pointers will be gratefully accepted.
tia,
George.