pstoraster no output?

Enrique Perez-Terron enrio at online.no
Wed Nov 10 03:38:26 PST 2004

Hello,

When I tried to print a web page today the printer remained silent.  Investigating, I found that the pstoraster filter writes nothing to its standard output.

I use my printer rather infrequently, so I cannot remember when I alst verified that the printer driver was working.

I looked at the latest updates to my computer, and found that pastoraster (i.e. ghostscript) loads the following libraries
that have changed lately (I apply all updates as they become available.)

 Jun  2 17:34 /usr/lib/libcups.so.2
 Jun  2 17:34 /usr/lib/libcupsimage.so.2
 Jul 23 23:25 /usr/lib/libpng12.so.0
 Aug 24 19:22 /usr/lib/libkrb5.so.3
 Aug 24 19:22 /usr/lib/libk5crypto.so.3
 Aug 24 19:22 /usr/lib/libgssapi_krb5.so.2
 Sep 28 20:22 /usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so.6
 Sep 28 20:22 /usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.so.6
 Sep 28 20:22 /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6
 Sep 28 20:22 /usr/X11R6/lib/libSM.so.6
 Sep 28 20:22 /usr/X11R6/lib/libICE.so.6
 Oct 13 15:45 /usr/lib/libgmodule-2.0.so.0
 Oct 13 15:45 /usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0
 Oct 13 16:45 /usr/lib/libtiff.so.3

(This list was prepared after I rolled back cups two updates.
This rollback did not help. The list probably includes libraries
loaded by /bin/bash, as pstoraster starts as a script)

Yesterday I received an email from a user of my Lexmark X74 driver, saying he could not install my driver. The install apparently went well, but when printing a test page nothing happened. He had then turned loglevel to debug in cupsd.conf, and attached the error_log. In this log I found the error message from my driver that can only happen if cupsrasteropen() fails. This function can only fail for any one of the following:

Oops! I came to press tab, and the message was posted prematurely!

... the following reasons:
1. malloc() fails to allocate a buffer to hold the raster structure
   This out-of-memory condition is virtually impossible.
2. read stdin to get the cups byte-order mark fails,

3. the read goes well but the data read are not the byte-order mark in either order.

This makes me believe that also he is getting zero bytes of output from the pstoraster script.

So here is my question: Are anyone else seeing problems?  Has there
been a problem the last two months or perhaps more, that might have escaped me?

Regards,
Enrique Perez-Terron