CUPS Security...

Russ Fineman russbucket at centurytel.net
Fri Nov 12 16:58:06 PST 2004

Andrew McCall wrote:

> Russ Fineman wrote:
>> Andrew McCall wrote:
>  >>
>>>At the moment I have to use my root username and password to administer
>>>the printers on the systems CUPS is running on - this is the same no
>>>matter what OS CUPS is running on.
>>>
>>>How can I set it so there is a "Printer Administrator" that has access
>>>to administer the printers, but nothing else?
>>
>> If you look at the man page for lppasswd you can delete an administrator
>> and add a new one. That should do what you want if I'm not mistaken.
>
> I may be being a little dumb here, but I don't understand how can I
> delete the "root" account?
>
> I haven't set any administrators up at all, and have just been logging
> in with the root username and password!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andrew McCall

My understanding is lppasswd is the line printer admin password and it does
not delete the root account. I need to try it as soon as I get my new
printer working. I set my lp password for root also but don't want to play
until new printer works. I also understand you can have multiple LP Admins.
--
Russ