[cups.general] Remote LPD clients

Michael "Kaze" Kesler kaze at packhouse.org
Fri Nov 12 18:20:37 PST 2004

I have completed extensive testing and have come to one conclusion on
this matter.  Locally, if I print via LPD, I get in my log (level
debug2, errors_log) about a half dozen pages, from establishing the
connection of cups-lpd to the CUPS server, to generating the postscript
from the plain text, to actually printing the postscript, to closing the
connection.

When I try to print via LPD, I get the logs for establishing the
connection, then it closes the connection, never getting a job ID or any
thing else.  It's like there isn't any data from the remote LPD client.

I have tried printing via an LPD client (dBop uses LPD for it's 'direct
IP printing') and from Windows XP's Remote LPD server system.  Neither
of them will print.  I don't currently have a Linux box with lpr on it
to test printing with strait lpr.

The command line I'm using on the local machine is:

lpr -P printer at localhost%515 test.txt

~Michael