[cups.general] Re: incomplete PostScript print jobs

Thomas J Pinkl tom at hbsrx.com
Mon Nov 15 05:22:20 PST 2004

On Fri, Nov 12, 2004 at 09:55:41AM -0500, Helge Blischke wrote:
> Are you sure the printconf tool works correctly with CUPS? I just looked
> into some components of it and found only stuff regarding LPRng.

No, I'm not sure that printconf works correctly with CUPS.  That's
one of the things I had hoped to learn from this list.

On my FC2 system, printconf is part of the system-config-printer
package, version 0.6.98 release 1.  It appears to be aware of CUPS,
as it offers "Networked CUPS (IPP)" as a valid Queue Type.

> Thus, it is well possible that printing from applications (mozilla,
> Adobe reader etc.) screws up the PS streams so that it is no longer
> handled correctly ba the CUPS filters.

That is certainly possible.  Although I also have the same problem
when submitting .ps files directly to the spooler (ie. not from
within an application).  And I've tried several different .ps files,
at different PostScript levels.

Here's a link to one such file:

  http://ftp.surfnet.nl/security/tcpwrappers/tcp_wrapper.ps.gz

When I try to print it, I get the first page and nothing more.

--
Thomas J. Pinkl                         738 Louis Drive
Unix Systems Programmer                 Warminster, Pa 18974