Windows Client Status Display Problem

Helge Blischke H.Blischke at srz-berlin.de
Tue Nov 16 04:12:38 PST 2004

Barry Trent wrote:

> I've come across a problem which, in searching this list seems to have come up before but I can't find any suggested solution.
>
> I've installed "network printers" on several Windows XP machines which print directly to a CUPS Server (port 631) on a Debian Linux box. As a specific example, the Windows network printer port is "
>
> Printing seems to work great, except that when the users open the Windows Printer/Fax Management applet they always see that their previous job is still "Processing", even though it has long since completed printing. If they submit a new print job it will replace the old one and remain "Processing" forever (or at least for a very long time). Sometimes the job actually appears in the queue display, sometimes not, but the "Processing" status is a constant. Once again, the printing works fine but t
>
> I've seen this problem using both Windows XP SP1 and SP2, and on both Debian Woody (CUPS v1.1.14) and Debian Sarge (CUPS v1.1.21rc1). I've set up several machines and they ALL behave this way, so either I'm missing something (seems likely) or this is a widespread problem (seems unlikely).
>
> Any ideas?

I guess you'd either have to wait for CUPS 1.2.x to appear (which
supports IPP notifications which will hopefully understood by
Windows, but I'm not sure) or switch to printing via SAMBA. In the
latter case, the queue status changes as soon as SAMBA has
forwarded the job to the spooler.

Helge

--
Helge Blischke