Epson Stylus CX6600

Russ Fineman russbucket at centurytel.net
Tue Nov 16 21:37:22 PST 2004

Brian Hechinger wrote:

>> Russ Fineman wrote:
>> > Brian did you ever get your printer working? I'm going out this
>> > afternoon and pick up a CX6600. Office Depot has them for $178. plus a
>> > $50. rebate. I'll let you know how the driver I downloaded works.
>>
>> I've gotten as far as (sadly) removing NetBSD from the print server and
>> installing Slackware 10 (painful, i cannot STAND linux) and i've gotten
>> PIPS built and installed.  i can add a printer, choose the CX6600 model
>> that is installed via PIPS, and i can attempt to print a test page.  it
>> then informs me that "Media tray empty!" and aborts the jobs.  the media
>> tray is not empty, and the control panel on the front of the printer has
>> nothing to say about the media tray being empty.
>>
>> other than that, it sees to work great.   ;)
>
> AH HA!
>
> it was looking for /usr/lib/libssl.so.0.9.6 and i have 0.9.7 installed, so
> i just made a symlink to 0.9.6 (and also for libcrypt) and now everything
> works!
>
> yay!
>
> let me know if you run into any trouble, i can now help you.
>
> -brian

I got my printer working but not the scanner yet. I created a symbolic link
but the SuSE Yast program does not reconize it for some reason so I did a
manual install with nodep it seems to have worked for the printer. I got
side tracked when my Win ME got clobbered trying to add a usb2 card.
Finally had to restore so i upgrade to XP and used my old usb 1.1 card for
the printer. I am really being to hate MS luckly I can do almost everything
I need on the Linux system. Now i can get back to learning Scribus and
installing the scanner. Problably have to nodep the install since it YAST
also doesn't reconize the symbolic link. Not sure why. If I need help I'll
contact you again.

Thanks for the offer of help.
--
Russ