Printer keeps stopping

Joao Clemente jpcl at rnl.ist.utl.pt
Wed Nov 17 09:01:26 PST 2004

Richard Hall wrote:
> I have several printers set up using cups.    Every now and again a
> couple of the print queues keep stopping.    I clear the jobs and
> restart them with no problem,  then a couple of days later someone will
> complain that printing has stopped working,   I look at the web admin
> interface and they are stopped again.    Can anyone think of a reason
> that would cause this behavior?
>
> Cups version 1.1.21 running on Gentoo.
> Printer is an Oki B8300
>
> Thanks

I faced a similar problem, I have to manually enable printing again on
my printer, sometimes more than once a day... In my case I usually find
in the web-admin interface a message explaining the problem:
Something like "Cannot open /dev/usb/lpt0" or "Server timeout" or...

I wish cups would retry instead of failing... Anyone knows a better way
to solve these stopping problems? I am planning to put a cronjob that
does "/usr/bin/enable printerName" periodically just to try to
"automagically" solve some problems....

My users are actually finding more problems with this setup that they
were when I was printing to a win98 machine... When the printer stalledm
they would just reboot the win98 and it would recover... Cups does not
recover from a failure state unless manually started :-(