Possible solution (Re: How to configure CUPS for an internet cafe?)

Joao Clemente jpcl at rnl.ist.utl.pt
Wed Nov 17 18:31:59 PST 2004

Hello everybody! I just touhgt of a possible simple solution for this
problem, I'll explain it here and I hope someone with more insights can
confirm if this works:

The ideia is having a 2 printer setup: "dummyPrinter" for the users,
"realPrinter" for the Admin...

dummyPrinter prints to a file in postscript format. The only detail that
I dunno how it works is that the "print file" should have always a
different name so not to overwrite... besides it should be placed in a
directory only acessible to Admin, like "/tmp/adminOnly"
Example files would be
"james-10Nov-11h23.ps"
"guest-10Nov-11h25.ps"
"mike-10Nov-11h30.ps"

Admin can browse that directory, preview the files with a preview tool
(that is why I suggested that dummyPrinter printed to a ps format, you
can open it easily) and then send the files he wants to print...

What do you think about this solution? It seems it should be easy to
implement, as long as the print files names don't clash...

Joao Clemente