[cups.general] How to add a filter for windows Postscript

Helge Blischke H.Blischke at srz-berlin.de
Thu Nov 18 04:57:12 PST 2004

Tom Schutzer-Weissmann wrote:

> On Wed, 2004-11-17 at 17:19, Helge Blischke wrote:
> > >
> > > I would like to add a filter to the printers to remove Postscript
> > > commands that specify the required printer memory. Where is the best
> > > place to add the filter?
>
> > If you could specify what "commands" you mean, I'd propose to
> > add a job patch file to the printer's PPD that converts those
> > statements into NOOPs.
>
> According to http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2004-July/088665.html,
>         There is a PS procedure defined that compares the VM with a
>         number on
>         the stack, then prints the above message and aborts the job if
>         it's
>         less. The line that invokes the procedure is always :
>
>         nnnn VM?^M
>         (where nnnn is a variable number defining the VM requirements)
>
> So I thought I could use grep to remove these lines. Can the PPD
> redefine the procedure to do nothing?
>
> Maybe using the cups drivers instead of the Adobe ones wouldn't demand
> so much memory, but after a lot of trying I cannot get the system to
> work with them, so I'm stuck with the Adobe ones.
>
> Thanks again for your help & patience...
> Tom

Well the VM procedure generates an error printout if the requirements
(nnnn)
are not met. I'd first try to remove these liens "by hand" (as indicated
in the abovementioned post) and see if the job prints. If yes, I could
post a
job patch file that modifies the behaviour of the vmstatus operator
accordingly.

Helge

--
Helge Blischke