using ps2ps with cups

Link cl at xganon.com
Thu Nov 18 06:02:38 PST 2004

I have a small problem. One of my clients would like to use cups for there printing needs. As it currently stands several of there printers claim to be PS level 2 compliant but PS jobs do not print (Stack errors with something about a 'do') if I run the job through ps2ps then send it to the printer it prints. So I wrote a simple filter that did not amount to much more than a script file with the line

ps2ps "$6" -

in it. To my understanding this should take the file to be printed, run it through ps2ps and output it back to the cups printing system.

I set up a mime type in the ppd file and the logs show it to be sending the job to the filter. What I get back from the filter is the same thing I send the filter. There are no changes to the file. What am I doing wrong?

On a side note it would appear that ps2ps is not the best soulation. It does however create a job that the printer can handle.
These files are large and complex, the document calls 37 different fonts (none are embedded in the document), 4 paper types, and several pages of graphics that are vector drawn using postscript. When using ps2ps we loose the calls to the different paper (media) types which we will need!

Thanks for any help you can offer.